Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Scam baiting. A horrifying experience!

Today I got bored and looked up some phone numbers of known scammers. I wanted to call some of them and waste their time and harass them, just like they do to us whenever they call somebody. Only they take things a little further and try to rip people off! They want to sell you some service or product that you don't need or they will claim to be the IRS and con you into paying them (the fake IRS agents) money for overdue taxes that you don't owe. They will tell you that you'll be arrested if you don't pay.
There are a lot of people out there that try to do us all a favor by calling these scammers and wasting their time. The longer these people stay on the phone with these scammers, the less time they have to call other people and rip them off. It also gets the scammer really frustrated if you waste too much of their time. This increases the chances of the scammer getting frustrated with the job and quitting. When people call and waste a scammers time, it is called: "SCAM BAITING".
A lot of people don't support scam baiting, because, it just gives the scammer more experience in dealing with difficult people and doing their job. However,  it is a lot of fun!
I looked up a scammers number on Google and called them. On the first call, I got one guy and told him I had a problem with my computer and needed his help to fix it.
He immediately told me to F off!
I said, "What the hell jackass! I am calling because I have a virus on my computer and it sent me a pop up message saying to call this number so you can fix it! This is Microsoft Tech support isn't it?" He immediately hung up on me!
So I called back about a minute later. I got the same guy this time.
I said, "Why did you hang up dude, I need your help getting rid of a virus." I was nice about it.
He cursed me out some more and got really mad. Then he hung up again!
So I called back a third time. I finally got a different person on the phone. I told him I had a virus and needed his help. He asked a few questions about the virus and he was nice about it.
So, I gave him a fake name. I didn't want this scammer to know my real name. I said I was John Simons.
He said  "Ok, turn on your computer."
I told him I had my computer on, but, I didn't really have it turned on. Then I tried to act like the dumbest person in the world who didn't know anything about computers at all. (For the record, I am not a computer genius. But, I do have some basic knowledge about them and I've taken a basic computer class.)
He told me to do a few things to give him remote access to my computer. I told him I didn't understand and asked him to repeat the instructions. He did repeat the instructions. Then he hung up. I was on the phone with him For about 20 minutes.
I called back and got the same guy. I talked to him about my fake computer virus for a few minutes, then he told me he was in Las Vegas. I said , "No you are not! You are in India and you are a scammer!"
Now, the guy started laughing!
I told him that I don't have a virus, I was just wasting his time!
He hung up again. So, I called him back. Now he said I am making him mad.
I didn't really have a virus , I was just doing this to waste his time anyway.
This was when things got really scary for me!
I was really lucky I did not have my computer turned on at all right now. Because now this scammer tried to hack into my ISP!
First of all Mr Scammer said, "David, why are you wasting my time?"
I thought, "How the hell does he know my real name?" I asked him, "How did you know my name is David?" He said it was a lucky guess.
I said, "Do you know my last name?"
He told me to tell him a last name randomly and he would tell me if I gave him my real name.
I said, "Smith."
He said, "No."
"Jones"
"No."
"Williams."
"No."
"Thomson."
"No."
"Arndt."
"Yes."
I thought, "Oh shit, he has caller ID and it works in India. He can get my name and number all the way over there. No big deal."
At least, that's what I thought at that moment!
He proceeded to say, "David Arndt Jr.
XXXX Signal Hill Rd. Orlando, FL. 32922.
Phone number: (407)XXX-XXXX.
ISP: 12345678900000
Email address: XXXXXXX@yahoo.com.
Your bank is Sun Trust in Orlando, FL.
You make $35,000/yr.
As soon as you turn your computer on, I'm going to get into your internet connection and on your computer and drain your bank account!"
I thought, "Holy shit! All that information is my OLD info! Luckily, the only two things that are still valid are my full name and phone number! The rest of it was valid a few years ago! Since then, I've moved to a different city, closed that bank account and went to a different bank, I no longer use that old email address, I have a different ISP and, even back then , a few years ago, I was not making  $35,000. But, I got really lucky that he did not have my current information! He must of looked my name up on the internet!"
I am not going to call that number again! However, proceed with caution if you want to scam bait this number!
It is a fake computer tech support company.
The number is:
1-877-786-2227.


No comments:

Post a Comment