Wednesday, February 21, 2018

HOW I DELT WITH A MICROSOFT TECH SUPPORT SCAMMER:


HOW I DELT WITH A MICROSOFT TECH SUPPORT SCAMMER:

I got a call from a Microsoft tech support scammer in India, they left me a message saying Microsoft has detected a problem with my computer and I had to call them back. I knew it was just a scam. I have gotten calls like this several times before. I usually don't return the calls. But, today, I decided to have some fun and waste their time! The longer they talk to me on the phone, the less time they have to call other people and actually call somebody who believes that it's true and they have to pay these people to fix a nonexistent problem with their computer!
He asked if I was a "Thirdtender"? (SP?) What's a "thirdtender"?

I'm not sure how it's spelled or the exact pronunciation. But it sounded like the Microsoft scammer was saying: Thirdtender. I couldn't understand the guy very well. He is obviously from India and I was talking on the phone with Mr Scammer. He told me he was from California.
Then he said someone in Chicago was using my Internet connection. I said, "Really? How is that possible? I live in FL."
He said, somebody hacked into my Internet connection, not my computer, my Internet connection, all the way from Chicago!
Then he wanted me to turn on my computer and let him have remote access to it. He asked if I was near my computer, I said, no, not right now. He went on and asked if I've let anybody else use my computer lately. I said, "Only one person, a close friend,  I hope he didn't do anything to it! OMG! I am getting a little nervous about this now!"
I started acting and talking as if I were really nervous.
"Do you know who it is that is hacking into my Internet?"
He said, "Well no, but we would like to find out."
I said, "I hope you can figure it out and tell me their address, so I can sue them!"
He asked if I was a "thirdtender". What is a thirdtender or something that sounds like that?
I got a message on my phone to call Microsoft. I immediately knew it was a scam, because Microsoft will never call you and tell you that you have a virus or any other problems with your computer! They never will! Neither will Apple or any other computer company. The IRS will not call you either. The IRS will usually send you a letter, probably certified mail, if they suspect you of tax fraud or other legal issues.
I called the scammers back just to waste their time. I had him on the phone for 11 minutes and 16 seconds! I just played along with it to waste the scammers time!
At the end, I kind of felt bad about doing this, because I told him I knew it was a scam and I was just playing along to waste his time. The scammer actually was being very nice after that. He even complimented my acting skills and said I should move to Hollywood! Because, he believed I was serious and I was having issues with my computer, I was panicking and he believed I was really scared, nervous and concerned that my Internet and computer were really being attacked by hackers!
When I was talking to him and acting really scared and freaking out, he told me to calm down and Go drink a glass of water! I waited about One minute, then came back to the phone, I told him I was fine now.
I couldn't think of anything else to say at this point, so, that us when I let the scammer know that I didn't believe him and I knew it was a scam and that I knew he was probably calling from India, not California. Then I looked at my phone to see how long I was on the phone. I told him that I just wasted 11 minutes and 16 seconds of his time!
This was the point where he started acting really cool and nice. He told me I was funny and I'm a good actor and I should go to Hollywood!
Their number is:
(888)609-1426

10 comments:

  1. Really good to defend from scamming.. Nice work mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow omg i can't believe they didn't just having up when you told them you knew they were scammers. i would have hung up right away

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good one, David. Usually they get you when you are busy so you do not take time to do what you did. It is sad that there are people out there who have to scam people for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good game, mate! Thank god you knew. I didn't always have the fortune and I did get scammed once...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would not feel bad at all - I'm surprised you even gave him a compliment that he was being nice. He tried to scam you! he's not nice LOL..Kudos to you for wasting his time, I wish it could have been more.. When I get a scammer I try and waste their time too, when I answer the phone I tell them I'll be right back, and go do my thing for a few minutes and then go back , ask if they are still there, most times they are and I tell them "Okay - hold on a sec" and I leave again and never come back :) Hate scammers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that these kinds of scammers existed. I am happy to hear that you were able to properly deal with them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes haha. Those scammers are so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scammers try to get all kinds of things from people. I wish there were a way to shut them down, unfortunately someone else always pops up. Good you wasted his time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exactly why I am so careful when I get calls from people I don't know. I never give any of my important information over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol so funny haha.. sometimes playing along is quite fun :) For scammers and phishing calls I always tell them to use the email address that I will have probably given together with my phone number when I signed up for the said service... then they never know what to say...

    ReplyDelete